Okra! The magic of Ladies Finger, sharing some health benefits apart from alkaline water
Here's the news . . .
A guy has been suffering from constipation for the past 20 years and recently from acid reflux.
He didn't realize that the treatment could be so simple - Ladies Finger!
He started eating okra within the last two months and since then has never taken medication again. All he did was consume 6 pieces of Ladies Fingers everyday.
He's now regular and his blood sugar as dropped from 135 to 98, with his cholesterol and acid reflux also under control.
Facts on ladies finger (from the research of Ms. Sylvia Zook, PH.D(nutrition), University of Illinois:
Ladies Finger is a powerhouse of valuable nutrients, nearly half of which is soluble fiber in the form of gum's and pectin's.
Soluble fiber helps to lower serum cholesterol, reducing the risk of heart disease. The other half is insoluble fiber which helps to keep the intestinal tract healthy, decreasing the risk of some forms of cancer, especially colo-rectal cancer.
Nearly 10% of the recommended levels of vitamin B6 and folic acid is also present in a half cup of cooked ladies finger.
Ladies finger is a rich source of many nutrients, including fiber, vitamin B6 and folic acid.
He got the following numbers from the University of Illinois Extension Page
Please check there for more details. Okra Nutrition (half-cup cooked ladies finger) calories = 25
* Dietary fiber = 2 grams * Folic acid = 36.5 micrograms
* Protein = 1.5 grams * Calcium = 50 mg
* Carbohydrates = 5.8 grams * Iron filtered = 0.4 mg
* Vitamin A = 460 IU * Potassium = 256 mg
* Vitamin C = 13 mg * Magnesium = 46 mg
* Dietary fiber = 2 grams * Folic acid = 36.5 micrograms * Protein = 1.5 grams * Calcium = 50 mg * Carbohydrates = 5.8 grams * Iron filtered = 0.4 mg * Vitamin A = 460 IU * Potassium = 256 mg * Vitamin C = 13 mg * Magnesium = 46 mg
The numbers should be used as a guideline only, and if you are on a medially-restricted diet please consult your physician and/ or dietician.
Ms. Sylvia W. Zook, PH.D. (nutritionist) has very kindly provided the following thought provoking comments on the many benefits of this versatile vegetable.
They are well worth reading.
* The superior fiber found in ladies finger helps to stabilize blood sugar as it curbs the rate at which sugar is absorbed from the intestinal tract.
* Ladies Fingers mucilage not only binds cholesterol but bile acid carrying toxins dumped into it by the filtering liver.
But it doesn't stop there ...
* Many alternative health practitioners believe all disease begins in the colon.
The ladies finger fiber, absorbing water and ensuring bulk in stools, helps prevent constipation.
Fiber in general is helpful for this but ladies finger is one of the best, along with ground flax seed and psyllium.
Unlike harsh wheat bran, which can irritate or injure the intestinal tract, Ladies Fingers mucilage soothes, and ladies finger facilitates elimination more comfortably by its slippery characteristic many people abhor.
In other words, this incredibly valuable vegetable not only binds excess cholesterol and toxins (in bile acids) which cause numerous health problems, if not evacuated, but also assures their easy passage form the body.
The veggie is completely non-toxic, non habit forming (except for the many who greatly enjoy eating it), has no adverse side effects, is full of nutrients, and is economically within reach of most.
* Further contributing to the health of the intestinal tract, okra fiber (as well as flax and psyllium) has no equal among fibers for feeding the good bacteria "probiotics"
* Okra should be cooked a little as possible, e.g. with low heat or lightly steams. This is to retain most of okra's nutrients and self-digesting enzymes! Some people eat it raw.
Looking to SHOP ! or looking to make extra CASH ! FINANCING AVAILABLE Phone : 403-397-3833